BuildHappy Dealing With Loss
The resource is aimed principally at children of primary school age who have experienced a loss of their familiar life through experiences such as separation, imprisonment of a parent/carer, bereavement, gender-reassignment of a parent/carer, job commitments of a parent/carer or indeed any other significant event that has disrupted the life of the child. This resource acknowledges the challenges faced for all involved. Children may feel hurt, helpless, confused, anxious or scared by the changes they will face.
This approach is designed to encourage children to:
- • Communicate their thoughts and feelings about their individual loss experience through the medium of LEGO® modelling.
• Talk about their circumstances openly and provide opportunities to ask questions.
• Provide children with a safe space without fear of judgement, or of upsetting a loved one.
• Develop positive strategies for managing their feelings and behaviours as they embark on working through the practicalities of their new family situation.
• Look positively to the future.
Click on the BuildHappy workbook you would like to download
Useful books to support this theme